Mission: The mission of the Harbor Association of Industry & Commerce is to be at the forefront of member issues, providing guidance, support, and advocacy to drive our industry forward with education, programming, and proactive policy work.
Vision Statement: Our vision is to maintain the reliability of the ports and businesses connected to them as crucial economic drivers while considering the impact on the surrounding community. We achieve this through dedicated advocacy.
1. Sustainability and Clean Energy
- Clean Energy Technology Deployment and Transition:
- Support initiatives for the deployment of clean energy technologies in port operations, facilitating a smooth transition to sustainable energy sources.
- CEQA Modernization:
- Champion the modernization of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) to streamline processes while maintaining environmental protection standards, aiding in sustainable development projects.
- Air Regulations & Green Shipping Corridor:
- Advocate for progressive air quality regulations that align with the development of green shipping corridors, promoting environmental sustainability in maritime operations.
2. Infrastructure Planning
- Infrastructure Investment and Planning:
- Prioritize strategic investment in port infrastructure and advocate for comprehensive planning to enhance the efficiency, resilience, and capacity of port facilities.
- Alternative Project Delivery Authority:
- Promote the adoption of alternative project delivery methods to expedite infrastructure development, ensuring timely and cost-effective completion of critical projects.
3. Port Competitiveness and Regulations
- Port Competitiveness and Ports:
- Focus on policies that enhance the competitive edge of California's ports, ensuring they remain key players in the global maritime industry.
- Regulatory Cohesion:
- Advocate for a cohesive regulatory framework that supports port operations and development, reducing bureaucratic hurdles and fostering a conducive business environment.
- Digital Transformation and Technological Innovation:
- Advocate for the integration of digital technologies and innovative solutions in port operations and management. This includes supporting policies that encourage investment in smart port technologies, automation, and data analytics to enhance operational efficiency, security, and supply chain transparency. Emphasizing technological advancement will not only boost port competitiveness but also ensure that California's ports are at the forefront of global maritime industry trends. This approach aims to create a more agile, responsive, and efficient port ecosystem, capable of adapting to changing market demands and environmental challenges.
4. Workforce Development
- Workforce Training:
- Emphasize the importance of workforce training programs tailored to the evolving needs of the port industry, ensuring a skilled and adaptable workforce to support future growth.
- Career Pathway Development:
- Advocate for the creation and promotion of clear career pathways within the port and maritime sectors, including partnerships with educational institutions and industry bodies to develop relevant curricula and apprenticeship programs.
2024 Public Policy Items
- Budgeting: HAIC advocates for transparent budget decisions grounded in realistic projections and aligned with long-term goals.
- Education: HAIC promotes educational training, workforce development, and skilled labor programs to assist South Bay businesses in meeting future workforce demands.
- Energy: HAIC endorses reliable and affordable sources of diverse energy, including renewables, while emphasizing conservation.
- Environmental Regulations: HAIC supports regulatory reforms that consider environmental impacts without being used as political strategies against projects.
- Goods Movement: HAIC backs projects aimed at improving the efficient and environmentally friendly delivery of goods throughout our region, facilitating affordable imports and exports.
- International Trade: HAIC champions trade and tourism initiatives to stimulate commerce and reinforce the region's prominent position in the global economy.
- Labor Costs: HAIC advocates for striking a balance between fair treatment of employees and employers' ability to sustain their businesses.
- Land Use: HAIC promotes a balanced approach to addressing workforce housing needs, job creation, industrial and commercial zone protection, open space preservation, and the preservation of our unique quality of life.
- Litigation: HAIC supports reforms in California's legal environment to shield employers and public agencies from costly and frivolous lawsuits.
- Taxation: HAIC supports reducing the tax burden on businesses and establishing a tax/fee structure that fosters competitiveness.
- Technology: [Additional context or content related to technology is needed for clarity.]
- Transportation: HAIC advocates for innovative funding solutions to enhance mobility on the region's roadways and transportation system.
- Waste Management: HAIC endorses realistic, equitable, and consistent water discharge requirements and policies for solid waste management, with an emphasis on minimal impacts on beaches and businesses during the collection, transport, processing, and disposal of solid waste.